Saturday, May 29, 2010

A brief history of cell phones @benmarvin has owned

My first cell phone ever was a Nokia 5110. Like the cheapest cell phone you could get. Had the removable faceplates and Snake. Got it when I was 18, and I was like the last person I knew to get a phone.

My next phone was a Motorola V120c. Monochromatic screen. Antenna broke off. Real piece of junk.

After the V120c died I didn't have my own phone for a while and used my girlfriend's Nokia 6100. It was so tiny and girly and had some sort of glittery faceplate on it that got glitter on your face anytime you made a phone call.

Finally I got another phone, and it wasn't much better than the previous models. Some generic Samsung flip phone from Sprint. I'm not even going to bother researching a model name. At least this time it had a color screen. I had it for exactly one year.

At this point in my life it seemed that everyone I knew was getting a Nextel. And pretty much everyone I worked with had a Nextel. So when the Sprint contract was up, I bought a Nextel. The Motorola i355. Biggest most giant brick of a Nextel phone. You didn't have to call 911 with it, cause you could just beat a would-be mugger over the head with it. One of the other cool features of the phone was a built in two way radio. Not like the Nextel PTT part, but you could two-way with someone else with the same phone without cell service. Good thing my sister bought the same phone.

There was this running joke going around at my work that we should all get Blackberrys to be cool like the district manager. His name was Sean Carter. No, not that Sean Carter. I was the first at my store to get one. Instead of the pancake phone, I opted for the newer Blackberry 7100i. It was interesting in the 7100 series in that it was the only one that could not play MP3s. It also didn't have a camera or SD card storage. None the less I was hooked on smartphones. This is what triggered the addiction. A peer pressure dare.

The day the Blackberry 8700g came out, I switched to T-Mobile, paid the Nextel ETF and I was big ballin' with a true QWERTY phone. A beast of a device, still no camera, but I used and abused the hell outta that phone and it's still tickin. My dad uses it as his main phone today.

Then came the Blackberry Curve 8300. It was slim, sexy, and my very first phone with a camera. ZOMGZ, Micro SD card storage, video recording, I had to have all the cool features. The trackball was a horrible design that loved dust and I had to replace it several times. Within a short time period, the Curve 8320 came out which added WiFi to the phone and I upgraded to that. During this time period I also rocked a Nokia E71 for a month and I almost bought one because it was so much more advanced than the Blackberry and about half the thickness.

Then came the Android phones.

The day I quit my job at Peerless Motherfucking Cabinets was the day the T-Mobile G1 was announced. I ordered it 2 weeks later while unemployed. But dammit, I had my Android phone. And I paid full price for it.

I had the phone nearly a year when the next Android phone with a QWERTY came out for T-Mobile. The Motorola CLIQ. Moving from the spacious keyboard on the G1 to the cramped keyboard on the CLIQ has produced a lot of typos and still does. Last night I finally met someone else that owns a CLIQ. I will have mine for only 4 more days.

June 2nd I'm buying a MyTouch Slide. Android 2.1, full QWERTY, 5MP, HSDPA+, I'll be back to rocking an HTC. And yes, I'll be paying full price to have the latest and greatest phone. The only question is...White, Black or Red?

I will never own an iPhone and I will never buy a phone without a full keyboard.

1 comment:

Annabell Sinclare said...

Wow. No offense but thats a not so brief history. I am a bad speller so beware. You had a lot of sucky phones (no offense) but my phone right now completely sucks. Anyway your really funny.

Annabell