Sunday, September 24, 2006

Inefficiency for the sake of content

So I have a store meeting today. Actually right at this very moment. But wait, you say, why are you blogging with your Blackberry, Ben? Well, instead of getting right into the meeting, getting it done and moving on with life, we're gonna waste some time, money, and hours for food. Sure, it's nice to get 'free' food. And it makes everyone relaxed and happier to be there, but c'mon. It turns a serious meeting into a picnic. Let's not forget that the money that is spent on the food could be going to the employees. I wouldn't mind a couple extra dollars. Plus the man-hours that are wasted. There's at least a 100 hours that could be better spent while the store is actually open, to provide better customer service, and push profits. Not to mention the meeting could be shorter than 2 hours.
Maybe this is one of the reasons why the profit sharing check I'll be getting today will be only 8 bucks or so. I'll just shake my head and smile. It's the corporate world and I bought into it.


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld


*Update*

The check was actually for $50. Apparently the scheme for calculating the amount is more complex than they will let on to. So we made 5% vs the 1% I was anticipating. Big whoop, a tank of gas and a number one super-sized.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Where is the update of the meeting?

Anonymous said...

Hey Buzz, don't feel so blue. When our profit checks first started they were around $50 too, but now they're close to $500 for the average FT associate. Just be glad they're cutting you a piece of the profit, after all. They could keep it for themselves.

Natalie said...

I work in a cheesy company that doesn't have anything like that to offer to me.